As we head into the second half of summer, many of us are looking for fun events to make the next few sunny months memorable. Fortunately, Vancouver and its surrounding communities feature numerous unique events to help stretch out the dog days of summer.
From fabulous parades to spectacular fireworks displays, brilliant art and music festivals, and events to satisfy the foodie in you, the challenge may really be in choosing.
1. Honda Celebration of Light – Originally named the “Symphony of Fire,” the world’s longest-running offshore fireworks competition provides a thrilling celebration of community, music, food and fireworks. The event’s final two nights feature Canada’s Midnight Sun Fireworks, an award-winning team of Yukon pyrotechnicians on July 27, and Pirotecnia Zaragozana, founded in 1860 and one of the most awarded companies in Spain, on July 30. These amazing spectacles of sight and sound can be enjoyed at three different venues – the Concord Lounge at the Inukshuk, the Scotiabank Lounge, and the English Bay Grandstand. An unforgettable free event for the whole family to enjoy!
2. Brewery and the Beast – This unique culinary event brings together an extraordinary array of chefs and beverage-makers. This mouth-watering festival of food promises a feast of fire-kissed meats, craft beers, wines, ciders and cocktails. All of this while enjoying live music from award-winning recording artists. Featuring different restaurants from around the city, Brewery and the Beast creates a playful and educational environment where attendees can learn about local meats and produce, enjoy quality food and drink, and experience a dynamic environment that supports local businesses. Discover what the hospitality community in western Canada’s largest city has to offer at Concord Pacific Place, Saturday, Aug. 7!
3. Powell Street Festival – One of the largest and the longest-running annual community arts festivals in Canada, this event celebrates Japanese Canadian art, history, food and culture. Located in the Powell Street area, in Vancouver’s historic Japanese-Canadian neighbourhood known as Paueru Gai, the festival boasts food booths selling Japanese specialties like takoyaki and imagawayaki, artisan vendors, food trucks, community tents, and an exciting line-up of entertainment and activities for everyone to enjoy. Running July 30 and 31, this is a great way to learn about Japanese culture and have some fun!
4. White Rock Sea Festival and Semiahmoo Days – A short drive from the city of Vancouver will take you to the White Rock waterfront for three days of entertainment and family-fun, July 29 to 31. Enjoy the beautiful White Rock waterfront as you join in numerous family-friendly activities, such as Pirates in the Park, White Rock’s Got Talent, a Westcoasters car show and fireworks. You’ll also savour tasty offerings from local vendors and a traditional salmon barbecue.
5. Vancouver Fringe Festival – Running for 11 days from Aug. 8 to 18, B.C.’s biggest theatre festival boasts performance artists from around the world. Taking place at venues throughout Vancouver, this year’s event features a wide array of returning performers along with a variety of innovative new acts. From theatre to comedy, dance, music and spoken word, there’s bound to be something to suit every taste. Expect a celebratory showcase of the finest theatrics – and maybe even a few surprises!
6. Vancouver Pride Parade and Festival – The Vancouver Pride Society returns to their in-person programming this year for their 44th anniversary with the theme “Together Again.” The parade and festival celebrate the joy of reuniting and uplifting the diverse 2SLGBTQAI+ communities in the city and beyond. Located in Vancouver’s West End, and kicking off Pride Week on July 31, the Davie Street Party is one of the most fun and enjoyable events of the weekend. All ages are welcome to come join this colourful, fabulous event!
7. 2022 Vancouver Mural Festival – Discover the creative side of Vancouver’s great outdoors with an incredible line-up of 150+ visual and performing artists! This fab family festival returns Aug. 4 to 14 with a spectacular 11-day celebration of daily block parties, mural tours and more than 30 new murals across the city, plus public talks, daily live performances at the all-new City Centre Festival Hub, and a spectacular all-ages festival closing street party in downtown Vancouver.
8. Theatre Under the Stars – Presenting Something Rotten! and We Will Rock You, featuring the hits from legendary rock group Queen, expect raucous and rollicking performances running alternate evenings through Aug. 27, at Stanley Park’s scenic Malkin Bowl.
9. The Brewhalla Beer and Music Festival – In Port Moody, sip and sample a selection of 60 craft beers from local breweries, enjoyed alongside performances from local musicians, food trucks and other refreshments, like local cider, kombucha, seltzer, and wine, not to mention fun activities like lawn games, and giveaways. Head to Pioneer Memorial Park in Port Moody from 4 to 9 p.m. Aug. 5, and noon to 5 p.m. Aug. 6.
10. PNE – Everyone’s favourite finale to summer holidays returns Aug. 20 to Sept. 5., with fun, food, amazing lineup of concerts and thrilling rides, including the all new Skybender!
Plan your adventures throughout the West Coast at westcoasttraveller.com and follow us on Facebook and Instagram @thewestcoasttraveller. And for the top West Coast Travel stories of the week delivered right to your inbox, sign up for our weekly Armchair Traveller newsletter!