Located in southeastern B.C., Golden sits among the Canadian Rockies and is surrounded by six national parks.
A hiker’s paradise, get lost in nature while enjoying breathtaking scenery of amenities like Yoho National Park. Explore B.C.’s pristine lakes, go sledding, visit waterfalls. And don’t miss a mountain biking adventure as Golden is home to some of the best biking terrain in North America!
Explore the rapids with white water rafting adventures on the Kicking Horse River. The outdoor adventures are endless in Golden and this is the place to go to connect with Canada’s majestic Rocky Mountains.
- Golden used to be named Kicking Horse Flats
- Home to Canada’s longest freestanding timber bridge
- Home to one of Canada’s top paragliding launches
- Lies between two mountain ranges of the Columbia Mountains and Rocky Mountains
- Kicking Horse Mountain is known for some of the world’s top snow conditions
- The six national parks that border Golden are Mt. Revelstoke National Park, Jasper National Park, Yoho National Park, Kootenay National Park, Glacier National Park, Banff National Park
In the summer, July and August offer the best weather with temperatures that fall between 20° and 25°C. May is the wettest month and may not be an ideal time to visit if you hope to hike.
Destination BC is developing a new campaign to promote hyper-local travel where residents are “tourists-in-their own hometown,” while practising the COVID-19 safety protocols as recommended by the B.C. Provincial Health Officer. Many B.C. parks are now open, and national parks were to open as of June 1.
(Check this website for current details on travel.)
How to get here
Golden is 240 kilometres from Canadian Rockies International Airport, 280km from Calgary International Airport or an eight-hour road trip from Vancouver (240km).
Dream now, travel later. To plan for future adventures here and throughout the West Coast, visit westcoasttraveller.com