There are many ways to learn about the history of Lacombe. Pick up a Historic Walking Tour Book or a self-guided brochure at one of the museums. Lacombe’s historic downtown boasts six designated Provincial Historic Buildings and the most intact concentration of Edwardian buildings in the province. For more information about the walking tour visit the Lacombe Museum website.
Built in 1894, the Michener House Museum is located in the oldest surviving home in Lacombe. It was the first Manse built in the community and was the birthplace of Roland Michener, Canada’s 20th governor general, serving from
Built in 1902, the Blacksmith Shop Museum is the oldest operational Blacksmith Shop in Alberta today. The shop’s original forge continues to be used in blacksmithing demonstrations taking place today. Watch the blacksmiths as they work in the shop and pick up a unique souvenir forged on-site to take home.
Beyond the museums, local farmers’ markets are great places to discover the many different foods grown and raised in the Lacombe region, including produce, free-range organic and/or hormone-free meats, natural honey, baked goods, artisan gifts, woodwork and so much more! Can’t make it to the market? Go direct to the source at the farm stores, U-picks and local growers. Outdoor markets run from mid-May to October, plus hold many special indoor events throughout the year.
• The Summerland RV Park offers 58 large RV sites, with power, water, sewer, a large grass area with a fire pit and picnic table … AND an 18-hole championship mini golf course!
• Spend the day on a sandy beach at Gull Lake (between Lacombe and Bentley). Aspen Beach Provincial Park has a beautiful beach and day use area with a concession, boat launch, change rooms, cooking shelters and fire pits.
• Enjoy the paved trails from Bentley to Gull Lake or Lacombe to Blackfalds, starting at the Federal Research Station in Lacombe and ending at the new Abbey Centre in Blackfalds! J.J. Collett Natural Area is a great place for a nature hike.
• Enjoy a day at the races at the Track on 2, then just down the road is the Kraay Family Farm with 40+ attractions designed for all ages to enjoy!
• The Lacombe Sports & Leisure Complex has both a spray park (free admission) and indoor swimming facility that includes a 25m, six-lane pool, a leisure pool and large hot tub in a bright, inviting atmosphere. For more outdoor water fun check out the Abbey Centre & Tayles Spray Park in Blackfalds and the Spray Park in Eckville.
Lacombe typically enjoys warm, dry summers and cold, snowy winters.
From Calgary, drive about an hour and 40 minutes (175.4 km) north via AB-2.
From Red Deer the drive is only about 25 minutes north via AB-2.