Nestled on a mountain coastal mountain slope, Mission overlooks the lush valley of the mighty Fraser River.
With a population of 38,000 residents, and surrounded by the incredible beauty of mountain vistas and natural forest settings, Mission is just a 20-minute drive from the US border and approximately 70 kilometres east of Vancouver.
For the outdoor enthusiast, Mission offers the banks of the Fraser River and many nearby lakes. Miles of hiking and biking trails abound as well as 4x4ing and camping opportunities. For auto racing enthusiasts, the Mission Raceway has been thrilling crowds for 60+ years!
For cultural interests, stop by the Mission Arts Council’s art gallery or see what’s playing at Clarke Theatre. For shopping, check out the wide variety of family-owned shops and franchise stores that call Mission home.
- Home to a national historic site of Canada Stave Falls Dam and Powerhouse.
- Mission has an official tartan that has been registered in Scotland.
- Mission is iconic for its sturgeon and salmon Fraser River sturgeon can grow up to 12 feet and weigh as much as 1100 lbs
- Mission Raceway Park is one of the fastest drag strips in Western Canada.
- Since 1997 the Clarke Theatre is the heart of the arts in Mission known for artists like Burton Cummings and Gord Downie
- Mission is home to the famous diner Rockos which is featured in the Netflix series Riverdale.
Mission’s climate is warm in summer and mild and wet in the winter. For the rain lovers there is lots of precipitation in Mission.
Destination BC is developing a new campaign to promote hyper-local travel where residents are “tourists-in-their own hometown,” while practising the COVID-19 safety protocols as recommended by the B.C. Provincial Health Officer. Many B.C. parks are now open, and national parks were to open as of June 1.
(Check this website for current details on travel.)
Vehicle: The two highways to Mission are the BC-7 also known as the Scenic 7 and Highway #11. If you traveling on Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 E take the Sumas exit in Abbotsford (Exit 92) and head north to BC-11 N.
Transit: The West Coast Express train offers passenger service from Vancouver.
Flying: The nearest airport is Abbotsford International Airport which is about 25 minutes away.