One of the highlights of the year here at the West Coast Traveller is our annual Amateur Photographer of the Year contest. Not only do we get to see some stunning photos from your travels near and far, we also get to give away some stellar prize packages.
And with our 2023 prizes valued at more than $9,000, this year is bigger and better than ever!
Grand prize for the fifth annual Amateur Photographer of the Year contest is a trip to the Yukon valued at $2,686!
The winner will receive round-trip airfare for two between Vancouver, Kelowna or Victoria and Whitehorse from Air North, a two-night stay for two at any NVD hotel in Yukon, and a two-night Aurora viewing for two from Northern Tales.
First prize, valued at up to $2,200, is round-trip for two travellers from Pacific Coastal Airlines. Second prize, valued at up to $2,150, includes three nights at Burrard Hotel in a double or king room for up to four people with parking and a $150 gift card for Elysian Coffee. Third prize, valued at $1,198 includes two nights in a two-bedroom suite for at the Pan Pacific Whistler.
What kind of photos are we looking for? Everything from your favourite wildlife images to your go-to local beach! Here’s a look at the categories:
- Scenic Canada – scenic or landscape photos taken anywhere in Canada.
- People/Portraits – portrait photography of a person or group of people (must have permission to use the other people’s photos)
- West Coast Travel – scenic or travel-related photos taken in B.C., Alberta, Yukon, Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California.
- Wildlife & Nature – including photos of wild birds, animals, plants, etc.
- Local Gems – photos of your favourite local spots or anything that symbolizes why you love where you live in B.C., Alberta or Yukon.
- #InstaFavs – Instagram favourites (including mobile phone photography)
Entering is easy – here’s what you have to do:
- Visit the contest tab on WestCoastTraveller.com, click Amateur Photographer of the Year, then scroll down to the entry link “Enter Your Own.” Simply choose your category, upload your image and fill out the photo title, your name (the photographer) and location. Deadline to enter is Oct. 20.
To be eligible for prizing, submit a minimum of five photographs to one or more categories. For example, you could submit two photos to Scenic Canada and three photos to #InstaFavs, or all five photos to the Wildlife category.
- Be sure to select appropriate category for your entry; no duplicate entries.
- Note that all photo entries MUST be original and captured by the submitting photographer, who must have the rights to the photographs.
- The contest is open only to Canadian amateur photographers, meaning you must earn less than 50 per cent of your income from photography. Former professional photographers are also exempt from the contest. Written confirmation from all finalists will be required prior to awarding prizes.
Check out the official rules here.
What happens next?
After all the entries are in, the judging panel will evaluate the entires, selecting the Grand, first, second and third-prize winners.
In addition, public voting on the top 100 images will take place from Nov. 10 to Dec. 10 to determine the People’s Choice Award. The People’s Choice prize, valued at $1,096, includes a Cheers Okanagan wine tour package that will include the winner’s choice of four wineries and a picnic lunch.
Plan your adventures throughout the West Coast at westcoasttraveller.com and follow us on Facebook and Instagram @thewestcoasttraveller. And for the top West Coast Travel stories of the week delivered right to your inbox, sign up for our weekly Armchair Traveller newsletter!