Crisp, clean air. The soft squish of snow. Winter’s quiet. Perfect day for a bike ride!
If you normally store your bike in the garage from November to March, you might think winter cycling is absurd. But the folks at GoByBike want to help you make the most of winter cycling. All it takes is a bit of preparation.
“Our goal is to inspire people to try travelling by bike,” says Terri-Lynn Gifford, Provincial Program Manager of the GoByBike BC Society (formerly Bike to Work BC Society). “Once they try it, most people discover that it’s not only do-able, but really enjoyable!”
READ MORE: You’re it! Play Bike Tag to explore your city
Tips for winter cycling
- Plan your route: Research bike paths and low-traffic routes — don’t just take the roads you’d drive in your car.
- Dress for success: Wear layers, gloves and a waterproof jacket. The exercise will warm your core, but the breeze may cool your extremities.
- Equipment check: If you haven’t cycled since last summer, you’ll probably need to put air in your tires. Front and rear lights are essential for winter rides, and fenders are a big help in rain and snow.
For more tips check out this article from the BC Ministry of Transportation, or watch the free Winter Cycling Preparedness webinar on Feb. 12., sponsored by GoByBike BC and presented by Bike Victoria. Find a link at gobybikebc.ca.
Feb. 12 is International Winter Bike Day
Hey British Columbia, ride a bike on Feb. 12! Here’s how to get involved:
- Sign up today: If you’ve ridden with GoByBikeBC in the past, just log in to register at logmyride.gobybikebc.ca. If you’re a first-time rider, welcome! Create a free account and you’re registered to ride. Reach out to co-workers, friends, family or classmates to sign up as a team, then compete against other teams across the province.
- Ride your bike on Feb. 12: Bike to school, to work, on your lunch break, to escape your COVID-bubble or take a break from screens and stress. Help your kids bike around the block in the snow, or embark on a 50-kilometre solo adventure. Fat bike down a mountain or commute on city bike paths.
- Log your ride: Enter the details of your ride at logmyride.gobybikebc.ca or in the Log My Ride App! Check out the rides of other cyclists in your region, compete against your friends and other teams, and see how many calories you burned — and greenhouse gasses you saved — by parking the car and riding your bike.
- Win prizes: Log your ride before Feb. 15 for a chance to win great prizes! You could win a $50 gift card to the bike shop of your choice, a $50 Visa gift card and other fun cycling merchandise.
Grease your chain, charge your lights, polish your helmet, and pop a wheelie this winter — go ride a bike!